Monday, January 30, 2012

Homeschooling Gifted and Advanced Learners (book review)

Kids who are gifted and/or academically advanced are in a category unto themselves. While I've seen many resources for parents of kids who have special needs, this is the first resource I've seen that addresses gifted and advanced learners in the homeschooling arena. I only wish I'd seen it before I graduated my then 15-year-old from our homeschool!

The author, Cindy West, is a veteran homeschooler with gifted children; she knows what she's talking about. She includes practical ideas, websites, and resources, not just pie-in-the-sky theories. She also addresses practical ideas for those who struggle in certain areas (even if they're gifted in other areas). Cindy has information about all of the core curriculum areas, including how to find curriculum that will challenge your advanced learners. She helps parents think through the best course of action for each student; this is not just a one-size-fits-all solution manual. Cindy even incorporates practical ideas on how to find creative outlets for talented kids and how to find true intellectual peers.

Homeschooling Gifted and Advanced Learners is available from Prufrock Press, Inc. for just $24.95 (paperback) or $19.95 (PDF). I highly recommend this resource if you're already homeschooling or considering homeschooling kids who are gifted.

Disclaimer: I was given a copy of this book for free in exchange for a review. The views expressed are my own.