Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Pirate Queen


The Pirate Queen by Patricia Hickman is about neither a pirate nor a queen, yet the title is somehow fitting. To most people, Saphora had a successful life; however, she’s had enough of her husband’s philandering and decides to escape. She’s interrupted by her husband’s announcement that he has cancer—and he wants her to take care of him. Instead of a private retreat, she finds herself overrun with children, grandchildren, townspeople who teach her about the real meaning of life, and a husband who seems to have undergone a character transformation with his diagnosis.

I especially enjoyed this book because it takes place in my current state of residence. I also enjoyed reading a love story about a slightly older woman (i.e., not in her twenties) who is at a crossroads in her life; I identified with many of her struggles. We serve a God of second chances and surprising endings, as illustrated here. I highly recommend The Pirate Queen for all of my friends who have been married for a while and feel that they need to go treasure hunting somewhere other than their own back yards.

I received this book for free from the WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.