Wednesday, October 27, 2010

PG Key (review)

 The Internet is a scary place for kids and teens. Worry no more about where they’ve been and what they’ve been doing! PGKey’s Safe Key is a small USB device that you plug directly into the computer you want to monitor. It features a Time Lock, Safe Search, Alerts (sent directly to your email or cell phone), and an encryptor. Best of all, it records up to 60 hours of computer activity that you can view at your leisure, either on the computer being monitored, or on a different computer (just transfer the PGKey over).

No key = no computer access. It really is that simple! I have to say that my daughter hates it and threw a fit when I installed it on her laptop; however, she has not liked the other monitoring software that we’ve tried either. Oh well. It’s not her call, and I love knowing that I can see where she’s been, who she’s been chatting with (and what she’s been saying!), and what times she’s been online. I would highly recommend PGKey’s Safe Key for every family with kids living at home who use the Internet. It’s definitely not just for homeschoolers.

All I did was plug it into my daughter’s computer and set a password. That’s it! I signed up for online access to block websites and set permissions as well. The only problem I encountered was when I tried to plug the key into my own laptop to review my daughter’s activities. I got an error message (more than once), so I emailed PGKey’s customer support. They got back to me within minutes (on a weekend, no less!), but their suggestion was simply to view the video on her computer instead of on mine, a workable but not preferable option.

Check out all the great features and purchase your own Safe Key here. Each one costs $49.99 plus s/h, but there are no annual fees and no updates required. If you lose the key, it’s only $10 from the Parent Portal. It also includes ongoing access to block particular websites and change your settings.

For more opinions and reviews, check out the official TOS Review Crew blog @ http://homeschoolblogger.com/homeschoolcrew/783233/

Disclosure: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”