Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Mockingbird Parables

When Jesus wanted to make a point, he often utilized parables, stories to illustrate his intentions. Stories are memorable and often easier to understand than just saying something straight out. This is what Matt Litton does in The Mockingbird Parables. More than likely, few of us have spent much time wondering over the spiritual and moral lessons in Harper Lee’s classic To Kill a Mockingbird since we were required to do so in high school or college. Litton dissects Lee’s original masterpiece character by character and scene by scene.

The Mockingbird Parables is readable, sensitive, thoughtful, and detailed. It makes one rethink the true meaning of being a neighbor, building a community, and leaving society better than one found it. Litton makes more parallels between the Christian faith and Lee’s book than I imagined possible, but in doing so, he makes both living and real. Christian literary teachers, The Mockingbird Parables is excellent holiday reading and will add a new depth to your American literature lectures.

Disclosure: I received this book for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”