Friday, October 1, 2010

The Foundlings (book review)

Foundlings, book one of The Chronicles of Peleg, by Matthew Christian Harding, is historical fiction/fantasy. Zoe and Sozo Publishing provide fabulous young earth creation fiction aimed at the pre-teen (ages 10–12 and up) crowd, although children as young as 7 may enjoy the 30-chapter/239-page book as a read aloud.

Say yes to dragons, giants, dinosaurs, dwarves, and fantasy. Say no to magic, humanism, evolution, and compromise. “Foundlings weaves together the biblical principles of chivalry, truth, courage, duty, faith, and love within the framework of Genesis and a bold adherence to its historicity.” The timeframe is shortly after the Tower of Babel dispersion.

Lord McDougal and his shield-bearer Fergus Leatherhead encounter adventures, troubles, and mystery on their quest for the Foundlings.

My 12-year-old enjoyed reading it, although she said the dragons were different from dragons in other books (and, no, I couldn’t get anything more specific out of her than that!). My 15-year-old says its an easy read, written in an older style, but a good story.


Foundlings is available directly from www.MatthewChristianHarding.com for $11.95. Other products available from this vendor include book 2 in The Peleg Chronicles series, The Paladins and a Chronology Chart from Adam to Joseph.


For more opinions and reviews, check out the official TOS Review Crew blog @ http://homeschoolblogger.com/homeschoolcrew/783082/

Disclosure: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”