Monday, August 30, 2010

Field Trips


I'm going to be totally honest and say upfront that I'm not a huge fan of field trips during the school year. Ouch! Let me clarify that a bit for those of you who are ready to quit reading already. I don't like taking my two, well behaved children to boring, unrelated places that are overrun with noisy public school kids just for the sake of going. I love going to historic sites and places related to what we're currently studying, but I prefer to go during the summer (usually these trips are disguised as vacations!), or during off-peak times. It's so hard to narrow down my favorites, but I would have to say the Outer Banks (you can learn a lot at the ranger talks) and Niagra Falls. Of course, historic Philadelphia is right at the top of the list, too, along with Washington, DC. Oh, I can't forget Jamestown, Yorktown, and Williamsburg. See, I knew I couldn't narrow it down to just one!

If you're looking for a few ideas, check out this list of 50 Fun Field Trip Ideas for Homeschoolers by Online College.


Q4U: What's your all-time favorite place for a field trip?