Wednesday, May 19, 2010

New Desk!

Just so y'all know how seriously I take my readers' comments and requests for future posts, I went to Ikea yesterday and bought a new desk--for myself! Of course, I had to have new organizing accessories to go with it, too, but I'll review those another time.

This is the Vika Gruvan table top (white wood with a divider in the middle, closed on the ends, but open on the width) on top of the Vika Fagerlid table leg with storage (comes in white or birch). I chose it because of the extra storage underneath the glass top and the bookshelf-type legs.

I managed to wrangle the boxes onto the cart myself and put them in the car almost by myself, but my husband had to help me carry the top in. That box was heavy! I started to put the legs together by myself and I probably could have figured out the little picture thingies, but my hubby volunteered to help. I forgot to time us to see how long it took, but probably between 30-60 minutes from car to setup. Putting the legs together really was a one-person job, but setting the desktop and then the glass on top of that is definitely a two-person job.

So far, I love it! The surface area is easily twice as big as my old desk (you can see a picture of it here). Almost all of the books I had in the upper hutch fit onto the lower shelves of the new desk. The new containers house all of the things I had in the drawers previously. I love that I can actually see while I'm grading papers now. Previously, I felt like I was stuck in a cave. The only thing I don't like so far is that either the glass can stay clean or I can use my new desk. Oh well. I think I can live with just one more tiny thing to obsess over. In case anyone is wondering, yes, I will also obsess over keeping everything under the glass totally straight and organized. For real. Just ask my kids.
Q4U: What do you use for a desk for yourself?

Disclosure: No Material Connection. I have not received any compensation for writing this post. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”