Thursday, May 20, 2010

Life, In Spite of Me (review)

Wow. Powerful. Heartfelt. Gripping. Those are my reactions to Life, In Spite of Me by Kristen Anderson, as told to Tricia Goyer. I know I’m supposed to write the synopsis first, but this was such an excellent book that I couldn’t resist giving my reactions first. If you have teenagers or work with teenagers or even just know teenagers, run, don’t walk, to the nearest bookstore and pick up a copy of this book.

Deep depression, despair, and a lack of hope are usually what drive teens to commit suicide. But, what happens when suicide is attempted but not achieved? Kristen writes candidly about her transformation from a rebellious girl who made a fatal choice to a joyful young woman. She offers extraordinary hope for those who feel they have nothing to live for. Kristen also offers sensitive advice to adults who are trying to help depressed teens.

Here’s a link to download chapter one. You’ll be so hooked that you’ll have to scurry on over to the WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group to buy your own copy of the book to find out what happens! If you prefer, you can view the video trailer here.

This is the part of the review when I’m supposed to announce that I have a giveaway for y’all. Here’s a true confession (haven’t had one in a while, it’s about time): I did receive an extra copy to give away, but I’m going to give it to our youth pastor at church instead. That’s ok, right?

This book was provided for review by the WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group.