Monday, February 8, 2010

Love & War - a book review

If I could choose the perfect title for a book on marriage, Love & War (by John and Stasi Eldredge) would be it. If we’re honest, that’s happens in many marriages: we love each other, so we get married, but then the war begins. John and Stasi give real-life examples from their own marriage, not from “case studies.” They cut to the chase with chapters such as “More Than Just Roommates,” “How to Have a Really Good Fight,” “The Little Foxes,” (dealing with distractions and the difficult topics) and “The Chapter on Sex” (yes, that’s really its title!). Their light-hearted, yet honest, approach will keep you turning the pages to find out how they got from “Let’s get divorced” after three years of marriage to celebrating their twenty-fifth anniversary.

My favorite thing about this book is that it’s written by a married couple from their own experiences. The “her” perspective is balanced by the “his” perspective—no lectures. Practical advice for real life gives couples hope that they really can find the marriage of which they’ve dreamed. I give Love & War an enthusiastic two thumbs up!

Disclosure: WaterBrook Multnomah Press provided me with a free copy of this book to review. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”