Monday, February 9, 2009

Life is What Happens When You Have Other Plans

When life interferes with my plans, my first tendency is to throw a temper tantrum; however, since I'm not two years old, that's not considered acceptable. Of course, I didn't consider it acceptable when my two year olds threw temper tantrums either. Anyway, when life hands you lemons, do you make lemonade, or do you throw the lemons on the ground and stomp all over them?

Life has happened quite a bit at my house and in my homeschool recently, and I've been guilty of stomping on the lemons (a true confession for those of you who read my blog, Confessions of an Organized Homeschool Mom @ blogspot). The other day, my friend Wendy sent me this very convicting quote: "Resentment is like drinking poison and hoping it will kill your enemies [or even your loved ones]" (Nelson Mandela). Yikes! It's time to start making lemonade. I decided to look for the spiritual lesson in all of this. I know I'm not the only one guilty of harboring resentment and stomping on lemons, so read on and let go of that resentment.

What do I miss when I'm holding tightly to my schedule in one hand and my resentment in the other? I miss cuddling with a little girl who will soon be too big to sit on my lap. I miss the opportunity to involve my husband in our children's education. I miss the fun of additional family meals. I miss the blessings of relaxing with infrequent houseguests. I miss the blessings of serving my incapacitated mother. It sure looks like I miss out on many of God's blessings!

Read the rest of the article at HOTM, a wonderful e-zine for homeschoolers. I'm thrilled to be contributing articles there about once a month.